Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Saturday, November 28, 2015

We are thankful for so many things

As my brother was here from Austin, I served dinner for just four the night before Turkey day.  My uncomfortably straight 18th century chairs are seldom really used much.  They are replaced by up to a dozen padded folding chairs so it is pleasant to linger at the table and talk a bit. I have had assembled sets of bannister backs, yoke back Queen Anns, sweet old windsors,  and sturdy little Pennsylvania painted chairs.  My pick now maybe would be the loopback windsors.

 
The peach pie with pecans on top was waiting in the kitchen for Thursday.
 
Part of our very large family gathered at my daughter and son in law's home for a traditional Thanksgiving meal.  On the big day Macy cannot wait so has to have a snack.
 

 
 
It seems a long wait for lunch.
 

Macy is four and nearly reading ready. She recognizes many of her letters and understands that they have sounds. I was 4 1/2 when I read Dick and Jane for myself. 
 Bailey and Blake
 
 

Kitchen cabinets are being remodeled. The house has a large pantry room plus a second stove as nice as the first, and a second refrigerator.
 
 Many hands in the kitchen. I have not pictured nearly all of the food.
Bailey is very good in the kitchen. She made two pumpkin pies. Her signature piece is her pound cake from an early recipe that her Great Great Grandmother Watts used.  That cake was made for today by Sarah.
1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, three cups flour, four eggs, 1 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1/2 cup of milk and 1 Tbles of vanilla.  Bake in bundt pan for an hour and fifteen minutes at 325.   To complicate things just a bit, the current generations add a little more sugar and a fifth egg.

There are five young children today to settle in.  We stand in a circle while Gary says Grace, remembering the men and women serving the country.  Then everyone takes a plate from the long table to fill in the kitchen.  These are Sarah's pretty Woodland dishes.
Norman Rockwell would approve I think.    e 
 

Blog Archive

Visits