Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Friday, June 13, 2014

A few special china dolls




The so called Greiner style china with her desirable lower eye lashes is a lovely addition to my doll family. The dress on her may be original, the bodice is lined, the fit exact, and the stiches are tiny ones made by hand. It is in shreds.  I have been to the thrift store to find a skirt made of black gauze, and found deep navy instead. From it I will cut patches to lay under the old fabric and help it hang together a little longer.  Wish me luck on this delicate venture!  I often shop the thrift store to find a needed piece of fabric by cutting up a used garment.


 


The tiny one is exquisite in her complete originality.  This little treasure is a small example of the china head used to mold my largest linen head doll over.   I would like to find a larger one I can buy, but may never be so fortunate.  Click on any picture to really see it well.





The blond boy is a common type of 1880 child made by A B G. I own a large perfect example kept at my daughter Beth's house. What is special about this one is his complete originality in a beautiful sailor suit. The little faded blue leather boots were his from his making. How nicely they harmonize with his blue trimmed suit and bright eyes. 






Most unusual and rarely found is this version of the Sophia Smith head.  I own two of them now, the other a more usual Kestner.  There is still another Sophia I am watching for, always the quest goes on..

I see from the counter that this blog has had more than 100,000 hits. I am humbled by this, thank you all. It left me feeling writer's block for a while after I noticed that, wondering what on earth I could write worth so many  visits.   So I continue to write about living with a garden and crafts and antiques and know that many people share this journey together.   Grateful for each day God gives me in these, my unexpected "bonus" years,  Edyth

Blog Archive

Visits