Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Country Antique show today in Boerne

My friend Linda drove us and we arrived just as the doors opened this morning. It is a beautiful day in the Texas Hill Country, perfect weather for attending a small show about 50 miles from Fredericksburg. In years back Jack and I used to show there and I have many happy memories of those times. I visited with quite a few friends and had a nice time in general. Linda and I had both pledged just to look and not buy. 

She ended up with a very nice basket of an unusual form and a Skookums Doll.   I found a nice little Stieff squirrel for my daughter Cheryl and a doll chair. 

It is known that izannah Walker made some small furniture. I have not seen any documentation as to what that furniture looked like. I do know that this type of small ladder back chair is often found and or used with the Walker dolls.  Over and over I have seen these chairs pictured with the dolls and have not often seen the chairs for sale. They are a bit pricey to me.  So today was my day and even though the original seat is gone and replaced with very inappropriate cane, I am happy to bring home the little chair in original paint and having no other repairs or replacements. 
I will seek some shall diameter "paper rush" which I know how to use and replace the seat. 

If you have a chair similar to this green example, please send photos to me and I will add  them here to this same post.  I have a similar sized one Jack bought for me years ago at Brimfield. Nice old blue paint on that one but not the same kind of chair.


 
Monday postscript...  Collector friend sent a picture of a sweet small doll chair with her Izannah Walker doll. This little chair looks older and handmade rather than the manufactured one I purchased at the antique show.
 
 
Doll maker Paula Walton sent photos of some of her small chairs. Two of these are just like the one I have.  I would like to find out where these were manufactured.  A company like Joel Ellis that made the doll carriages could have made these.  The paint on the chairs is not typical of what we see on the buggies.  E
 


 
Off Topic, my broccoli is making sweet heads!  All of the beets froze in the recent extreme cold. Normally here beets are ok in the winter. The life of a farmer is ever challenging.
 
 

Blog Archive

Visits