Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Antiqueing in NH

The trees are showing some autumn color here and there. Barbara, Peggy and I drove a little way up into NH stopping at favorite shops, Fern's, Austin's and Parker French. I was thrilled to be in old haunts I never expected to see again. I bought small and with the thought that anything purchased must be mailed home, but I enjoyed all of it. Purchases included an old book of the white pine series showing Peggy's house. Also bought was a small framed sampler or at least a piece of cross stitch, and a deep indigo doll dress. The dress is hand stitched with old brown thread.  Another item for the doll family is a tiny pair of robin's egg blue doll sox.
The last stop was a bit of a stretch, as we made it to York Maine to see York gallery, and I fell in love with a very large 18th century portrait of a woman in a green dress.  There was also a great ship model, and a nice papier mache doll.  I resisted all of these.  The three of us had dinner in downtown Portsmouth at Rosa's.   A long day, but one I will not soon forget.   e

Blog Archive

Visits