Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Andreas Voit Glass eyed papier mache doll

The glass eyed children by Voit are among my favoite dolls.  Prudence as I have named her is a precious toddler 29 inches tall. I redressed her this week in two garments made for an infant of the mid 19th century.  Prudence dates about 1845 so I was thrilled to find this dress and little bib/apron for her. The hand stitching on these garments is almost too fine for me to see.  Is this not one sweet print!

The dress was drawn up on several gathering strings to fit the current baby, and  could be straightened flat for washing.   Shaping on such a dress is minimal, the drawstrings do the fitting.  This one was a bit too long for the doll, so I lightly whipped a hem in it, and only finger pressed it, not wanting to really alter or damage the dress which is an antique in its own right.  

The little bib/apron is also very simple and could be slipped over the child's arms at feeding time to protect the dress.  I have pictured the shape in case you would like to make one, for a doll or a grandchild.  Ties may be added at the neck in back to help keep it on an active child.  click on a picture to see it larger. e





Blog Archive

Visits