Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Eggplant to Celebrate a new kitchen





Friend Ruby Lee grew the gorgeous eggplant. I sliced it and placed it in a covered baking dish (rubbed first with a tad of olive oil). I topped the rounds with ragu sauce and parmesan and fresh parsely.    Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until a fork tests it as done. I wish I had pictured it as it came from the oven bubbly and slightly browned but four of us were gathered for supper by then and pictures were not uppermost.  The purple rind is dicarded as you eat it, but leaving it on while baking holds the rounds together and makes them easy and pretty to serve.  A nice way to enjoy eggplant withour frying it.
We planned this room to show case Jack's pottery collection, More of the redware will be here as well as the stoneware that speaks to the gray tones. The gray green paint is Hampshire Gray from Benjamin Moore, Historic color 101. The counters are formica, which we prefer to stone as it is kinder to dishes and the pottery.

We are just beginning to decorate it now that the paint and new knobs and appliances and countertops are in.   This little house is a good size for us now.  E

Blog Archive

Visits