Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Sunday, September 9, 2007

There will be a hookin tomorrow at the hanger here in Fredericksburg, I will see so many ruggers there, always over 100 attend and bring rugs and hook and eat together and enjoy exhibits and vendors. I miss my rug hooking friends. I am not hooking these days, but of course always have a couple of works in progess sitting in a basket waiting. I hope to make again some of the hooked pieces we lost in the fire.
I have devoted most of my craft time to working on the dolls, and yesterday got fabric backings in the big glass cases I keep many of them in. We cut styrofoam panels to fit the spaces and then covered that with a patriotic toile in a soft sepia color.
I will hang various things on this back "wall" behind and above the dolls. For instance where I have a group of boy dolls playing with a large wooden toy cannon about 1875 vintage, I want a piece of old bunting or a faded silk flag or such. Am looking for that. I dont use much bright white, so want an ecru or tea dyed look.
Another section has some wax dolls quilting with tiny quilt squares and I have a nice piece of a log cabin top behind them, absolutely best colors! The small textiles, the clothes and bonnets and little old doll quilts, are a big part of the charm to me of a doll collection. Melanie Z made a small sampler which we framed for the dolls about 4 x 6. I say we, because Jack helps me with every thing I do always. His wonderful doll sized furniture is so charming. A little of that shows on the blog and I will get better photos us as we progress. Best, E

Blog Archive

Visits